Perhaps you have visited my blog yesterday, after having read my first post…. (www.ursusart.studio) If you did, you might have noticed, that the colour blue is ubiquitous. We all know that many artists go through a ‘blue period’, like Picasso, and for Yves Klein it seemed to be the only existing colour. In Der Blaue Reiter, blues were over-represented too.
We can easily Google away to find out what it was with this colour, that captivated so many artists. But to me the hardest question is: Why do I myself seem to fall back on the colour blue over and over again? Am I depressed? Yes, sometimes, but I grab my Phthalo too when I’m buzzing. So there goes that theory….
I have been thinking about this question for a while, and this is what I have come up with so far:
There is a deepness in the darker shades of blue, that I can almost feel physically. That I do know. It’s like a vibration I can not hear, but only feel. Now, I have no idea whether I am the only person who feels artworks in her body, but to me they’re like a language that I cannot speak, but that I want to listen to anyway. Just as I sense blots, markings and scratches in drawings, I too can sense colours. I think it is one of the reasons I want to do art more than anything else. It is one of these annoying things that is hard to explain, especially to non-artists.
This deepness I mentioned, technically speaking, is perfect for pushing back parts of the painting, but adding water allows you to make other parts come forward. Here we create depth and the illusion of a 3-dimensional world on paper. Not every colour has this ability: Yellows and even reds don’t seem to, only perhaps when you mix them with deeper colours…. with for instance… blue! Black, of course, does have this power of allowing you to mix a wide range of shades and there is no ‘colour’ as deep as black. But to me, putting black next to any other colour, means the vibrancy of that neighbouring colour is killed instantly. I’d rather use black only, or mix it with another colour.
When it comes to inks: the darker blues bleed so well! I don’t know whether this is my imagination, but to me it seems like they spread wider and more fluently than their siblings.
But the most important reason: It must be the feeling of magic, that makes me return to my Phthalo. It understands my longing for late evening nights, in which the sunset made sure that the first so brightly coloured world has been covered in a blanket of only blues and greys. Everything has softened and quietened down and from that moment on, anything romantic can happen. No more daily reality and responsibilities, but a time to hide away in dreamy fantasies in which you have control over what you want to happen.
If you can think of an additional reason on what you think blues make so captivating, then please tell me so in the comments! Thanks so much!
Eva Mout, Ursus Art
Did you like what I wrote? Then please like my post!
- Inside PortraitTwo days ago, I posted a portrait, that shows what I think I should look like from the outside. Because inside I feel so differently from what I actually see in the mirror. Don’t get me wrong: I am content with my looks, but they don’t seem to cover everything I feel I am. MyContinue reading “Inside Portrait”
- New Artwork: Self PortraitMy goodness me! What a long time it took for me to be able to sit at my desk and get to work. Life at the moment comes at me full throttle and it leaves no room for other things than absolute necessities. But…. here we are. At last. This is a portrait of whatContinue reading “New Artwork: Self Portrait”
- New Artwork: ‘Lost’‘Lost’ By Eva Mout, Ursus Art If you’d rather invest in a high quality print, then you can order one on size A4 (€20,=) or on size A3 (€30,=). If you’re interested in the original or in a print, please just leave a comment below. Did you enjoy this? Then please like my post andContinue reading “New Artwork: ‘Lost’”
- New Artwork: ‘The Sentinel’‘The Sentinel’ By Eva Mout, Ursus Art If you’d rather invest in a high quality print, then you can order an A4 for €20,= and an A3 for €30,=. Please just leave a comment below if you’re interested! If you enjoyed this, then please like my post and follow my blog. See you soon! EvaContinue reading “New Artwork: ‘The Sentinel’”
- New Darkie: ‘Behind Closed Doors’.‘Behind Closed Doors’ By Eva Mout, Ursus Art Hi everyone! This darkie is available as original or as a high quality print! Of course the prints are much more affordable at the price of €20,= for an A4 and €30,= for an A3. If you’re interested, please leave a comment below or send me anContinue reading “New Darkie: ‘Behind Closed Doors’.”